On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 02:58 +0000, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Richard!
>
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 20:09:38 +0200
> Richard Cochran <richardcoch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The configuration file scheme can't do what you want it to do, even
> > without the ntpshm_segment option.
>
> Yeah, sadly...
>
> > >     [eno1]
> > >     ntpshm_segment 0
> > >
> > >     [eno2]
> > >     ntpshm_segment 1
> >
> > is the same as entering
> >
> >     ptp4l -i eno1 -i eno2
>
> Sadly, no.  When you do that ptp4l only uses one SHM, not two.  Now
> if ptp4l read the [eno1] and [eno2] sections it would work.

You mis-understand. Passing eno1, eno2 or putting them in the
configuration file is how you would set up boundary clock mode. This
appears to not be what you want, so neither of these things is going to
work.

> > You can use one file per ptp4l instance.

Yeah, which sort of shows how the config file syntax is not really
> impleented as cleverly as it wass designed.

No it doesn't. ptp4l's one configuration file is designed to run one
instance of ptp4l.

> >  Another possibility is
> >     ptp4l -f -
> > together with a HERE file in your shell script.
>
> Yeah, but then both instances try to grab ports 319 and 320.  I tried
> putting one instance on UDPv4 and one UDPv6, but the UDPv6 seems to
> also
> grab the UDPv4 port.

You'd have to use something like L2 instead, so that it doesn't bind
ports. You could also network namespace the sections, but that sounds
like overkill.

Regards,
Jake