Your network driver has to support software timestamping via sk_timestamp_tx()
call in its Tx routine in order for software Tx timestamps to work. VLAN
forwards the frame to the lowerdev so it likely doesn't advertise Tx timestamp
support because not all lowerdevs support it.

Note that the VLAN driver only returns these values if the lowerdev doesn't
have a get_ts_info, so you likely need to implement the get_ts_info op for the
driver you're running in order to correctly enable this behavior.

Thanks,
Jake