On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 06:21:57PM -0400, Dylan Robinson wrote:

> I feel bad for how I communicated.

np, I also want to apologize because after re-reading the thread, I
was indeed projecting an "ulterior motive" onto your posts.

Your summary of the different standards is helpful, and I think it
supports the conclusion that appending proprietary stuff onto frames
is not allowed by 802.3.  Some vendors feel free to tack on whatever
they want, and some have argued on this list that that must be
accepted.  But there I must push back and say that such frames are
quite simply corrupted.  PTP already foresees vendor extensions using
appended TLVs.

If I understood correctly, your device will accept frames with extra
cruft but then sanitize them before forwarding by removing the
extraneous bytes.  IMO that is a reasonable policy for network
equipment, because your customers might be stuck with third party
devices that generate corrupt frames.

However, for linuxptp I want the code to be correct and free of vendor
specific workarounds for buggy hardware.  People can always patch the
code to their taste.

Thanks,
Richard