On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 06:26:25PM +0100, FUSTE Emmanuel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why timemaster launch phc2sys with the "-r" option ?
>
> It could be a complete misunderstanding of the doc/code on my side.
> But as the goal is to pass the measurement to ntpd via the ntpshm pseudo
> servo to let ntpd do the system clock adjustments and updates, "-r" is
> irrelevant and will step on/conflict with ntpd time adjustments/updates.

I can see why this could be confusing.

The -r option enables synchronization of the system clock to the PTP
clock, but phc2sys doesn't care which servo is selected. With the
ntpshm servo, it's another process controlling the clock instead of
phc2sys. If timemaster started phc2sys without -r, it wouldn't try to
synchronize the system clock and the ntpshm servo wouldn't write any
samples for ntpd.

--
Miroslav Lichvar