The reason why I was asking is that some protocols like AVB provide
the clock master ID and domain number with the stream description.

The slave is supposed to sync to the given master and domain rather than
to the best one.
This of course will be fully exploited only in non-trivial networks,
where multiple masters are present.

I'm thinking of the following slave set-up: by default it runs ptp4l
with a reasonable config (i.e. the best master algorithm)
and on stream reception it reconfigures ptp4l to the required master and
domain number, using the local UDS.
Once the domain number configuration and acceptable masters table are
implemented, this should be possible.

Petr