This sets the offset value, which may be the 35 seconds of UTC leap seconds?

I think there's something special about that offset, but I am not 100% sure.
Richard or Miroslav would know more.

I think you might also try the "-a" option for automatic setup of phc2sys.

What happens if you run phc2sys without the "-w" or "-O" options?

Thanks,
Jake