On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 10:25:53AM +0000, C. Devereaux wrote:
> Could you please suggest the syntax of the phc2sys and ptp4l commands to run
> on server3  (time master) and server1? I will edit my systemd services to
> match. Server3 talks to server1 via eth1, which is called eth3 on the other
> end, on server1.

On the PTP master you could try this:

ptp4l -m -i $ETH --clockClass 6
phc2sys -a -r -r -P 1e-4 -I 1e-8

The system clock should be synchronized, e.g. by NTP.

The slaves can be configured by timemaster using both NTP and PTP.

> Because weak PI servo, or the constants I should use are not exactly self
> evident for a PTP beginner – and likewise for which algorithms will give the
> most accuracy. Based on my readings, I assume a stable jitter around 50 ns
> should be possible.

With good switches with PTP support jitter of 50 nanosecond might be
possible.

--
Miroslav Lichvar