On 5/24/2021 2:06 AM, Joseph Matan wrote:
> The kernel version I'm using (v4.19) doesn't support the gettimex
> implementation, so I've added this patch:
> More accurate PHC<->system clock synchronization
> <https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/cover/20181109101449.15398-1-mlich...@redhat.com/>
>  (I
> only took patches 1-4/8)
> But this patch doesn't include my KSZ driver (patches 5-8/8 include only
> other drivers), so I had to add my own implementation to the KSZ driver
> in order to support the PTP_SYS_OFFSET_EXTENDED ioctl.
> Unfortunately, it didn't help, and I still suffer from huge delays and
> offsets (I did verify the ptp4l is running the SYSOFF_METHOD method).
>
> Any other ideas or tips ?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Joseph

Unfortunately no. That gettimex bits worked ok for Intel hardware
because we have to read 2 (or 3) registers, and the time is locked by
reading the lowest register. By using system time captures around that
low register read we get a more accurate comparison.

Unfortunately if this doesn't help your case, I am not sure what else
would be worth trying.

One possibility is to attempt to tune the servo parameters (The P and I
constant values for the PI servo, for example). You might be able to
find slightly better values that are less sensitive to the delay. It is
likely this would take longer to converge but could produce a more
smooth result at the end.

You might also try one of the other servo algorithms such as linreg.

Unfortunately if reading the clock time of your device has high jitter
it will produce worse results. There's not much way around that.

Thanks,
Jake