On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 02:13:29PM +0200, Jakub Raczyński wrote:
> My interpretation is based only on ntpshmmon tool - it clearly shows that
> ntpshm servo is only fed when PTP portState is set to Slave. So it is used
> only to write to the segment, but phc2sys clearly controls when it is done.
> Since ntpd does not communicate with phc2sys then whether it works or not is
> only based on phc2sys.

You said something about ntpd reset. I'm not sure what that is. If
there was something removing the segment (e.g. a script using ipcrm)
before phc2sys reverses the direction, it would create a new SHM, which
wouldn't be monitored by ntpshmmon started earlier.

> It seems you have great feature of phc2sys that allows to synchronize ntpshm
> servo in Slave state and use CLOCK_REALTIME as Master, yet you say like it
> does not exist. And again, I intend to use it that way. I am not trying to
> read anything from ntpshm.

ntpshm doesn't synchronize anything. It just provides data for another
process to synchronize the clock. ntpd can synchronize CLOCK_REALTIME,
but not a PHC, and even if it could, it wouldn't know when it should
switch.

You need two phc2sys instances.

--
Miroslav Lichvar