On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 12:48:57PM +0530, Hari Kumar wrote:
> I couldn't able to check that the timestamp getting with ptp4l is PHY or
> MAC based timestamping.
> will ptp4l support PHY timestamp? If yes, please help me by sharing steps
> to run ptp4l for PHY timestamp. Finally, how to confirm what kind of
> timestamping?

It depends on the hardware and driver. You would need to check the
source code. ptp4l doesn't know/care which is it. PHY timestamping
seems to be very rare in computer NICs (and is limited to slower
network speeds?).

As a quick test, if you have two pieces of the hardware, you can
connect them with directly with a short cable and see the delay
reported by ptp4l. If it is hundreds of nanoseconds or more, it's
likely MAC timestamping. Note that some drivers have hardcoded
compensation and some modern NICs seem to do it in hardware.

--
Miroslav Lichvar