> There is a caveat here : I assume both the ports on the same NIC (mlnx1 and
> mlnx2 for example)
> have the same hardware clock source even though under /dev/ they are mapped
> to different ptp
> files i.e /dev/ptp8 and /dev/ptp9 respectively.

Depending on the configuration of the Mellanox NIC, the PHC exposed for
different ports will either be the same PHC (in Real-Time Clock mode) - though
exposed through two /dev/ files or (in non-Real-Time Clock mode) driver will
construct separate PHCs for each of the ports.
You can find some instructions on how to configure it here:
https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/display/NVIDIA5TTechnologyUserManualv10/Real-Time+Clock
And some general documentation on the Real-Time Clock here:
https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/display/NVIDIA5TTechnologyUserManualv10/Real+Time+Clock

> There are some jitters / unexpected outliers which I attribute to measurement
> uncertainties / syscall jitter.
99% of what you're seeing is likely PCIe read latency jitter. This is the
reason why phc2sys has the '-N' option to mitigate the problem: