On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 10:26:35PM +0000, Eric Decker wrote:
> My understanding is each domain has a set of PTP messages associated with it.
>  If we have two domains there would two sets of Sync, Follow Up and path
> delay messages on the network simultaneously.  Would the hardware stamping in
> the MAC timestamp frames/messages from both domains?  If the MAC does capture
> timestamps for the PTP frames in both domains, then does the PHC and vclocks
> process those timestamps?

Hardware doesn't care about domains. It timestamps all event
messages. With vclocks the hardware timestamp is interpreted as a
simple counter and the hardware timestamps are converted by vclocks to
timestamp that will be receive by applications. The application
selects the vclock by binding its socket. A single ptp4l instance
works in a single domain, so it needs just one vclock. It will receive
messages from other domains with timestamps converted by its vclock,
but it will ignore them. With multiple ptp4l instances you have
hardware timestamping enabled in multiple domains, each instance using
only timestamps of messages in its domain.

--
Miroslav Lichvar