Sorry for this self-reply follow up post, I forgot to include a
pertinent reference.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#ModifyGPL

> You can get around that by calling it
> the LinuxSampler-License and not mention the GPL at all.
>

> As side-note, generally source-code header license for individual files
> trumps the license file from the collection. A quick grep shows that the
> source itself has a GPLv2 boilerplate with no commercial exception
> (unless I've missed some).
>
> So if one were to take the individual source files and re-roll them into
> a new archive... ?!

Also let me add that I by no mean want to encourage that.

I'd like users to respect the intention of the authors of this IMHO
great software. But I very much wish for these intentions to be clearly
solidified by a proper license (until a time comes where software
licensing becomes irrelevant).

One practical example: forking linuxsampler: A lot of users are/were not
happy with 32 channels LV2 output by default in Ardour (though this has
meanwhile been solved in in Ardour with plugin pin connections).

How could a user modify the source and redistribute the changes and make
sure they're likewise not used in a commercial product?

Would you oppose a non-free debian package alike the
adobe-flash-installer?  Basically a script that automatically get the
source and compiles a local version or grabs a binary from some place?

ciao,
robin