On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:45:35PM +0100, Pander wrote:
> I would like to make the following feature request for
> inverting/toggling parameters.
>
> Please extend values for the following parameters with "invert":
>
> touch:          on, off, invert (toggle)
> gesture:        on, off, invert (toggle)
> tabletpcbutton: on, off, invert (toggle)
> rawfilter:      on, off, invert (toggle)
> mode:           absolute, relative, invert (toggle)
> rotate:         none, cw, ccw, half, invert (+180 degrees)
>
> Implementing this will make it easier for application, scripts, and
> command line usage to toggle parameters without having to remember the
> status or first requesting the current status in order to toggle a value.

tbh, I'm not a big fan of this. it's a few lines to implement toggle in
whatever script/config tool you need. and one of the things we've found with
toggle in the past is that it is quite hard to get right because you don't
always know where you're toggling too. e.g. in GNOME + xkb we had the issue
that our toggle touchpad key would get out of sync and enable in hardware
but disable in software (and vice versa), leading to a dead touchpad.

besides, there's the naming. toggle works for touch as toggling an option is
an understood concept. "inverting touch" isn't quite as clear, imo.
inverting or toggling a mode is confusing, a better name may be "switching"
or so. rotating - "cycle"? and once you start cycling through the options,
do you have "next" and "previous" as well?

I think the current xsetwacom interface is simple enough that this can be
easily implemented on top where a toggle command is needed.

Cheers,
  Peter