> I'm struggling understanding this. How would ABS_LED_STATUS work?

The main purpose of ABS_LED_STATUS is to make the LED status device
independent to the user-land, which includes the X server driver. What
I wanted is for the client to be able to tell how many sets of LEDs
they expect without checking into the tablet ID. I thought that was
what you would like too.

> absolute axes just have a min/max range (which I guess would be luminance?).

You are right on the range ability. We need the max to tell the
userland how many LEDs are going to be reported. For I4, the max would
be 0x07:  one set of 4 leds. The first 3 bits report the led number.
The forth bit indicates on/off.

Then, for C21UX, it's 0x077 (2 sets of 4); and for C24HD 0x66 (two sets of 3).

We do not report the brightness/luminance through ABS_LED_STATUS. It
is a status only value. Plus, brightness is not supported for Cintiq
tablets.

> Wouldn't this be limited to one single LED then?

Yes and the firmware only provides one LED on at one time.

>> The tablet (Cintiq 21UX2) I am supporting has two sets of leds v.s.
>> Intuos4 only has one set. The Cintiq 24HD has two sets of different
>> leds setup, allowing users to switch led from xsetwacom requires that
>> they know the protocol/interface for each model. That defeats the
>> purpose of the driver. The feedback I got from the end users and
>> application developers is that they want the driver to provide a
>> generic way to switch the led for them.
>
> Huh? why can't this be done independently?

That would require client to check the device ID. Or maybe I missed your point?

> If the I4 has 4 leds and the Cintiq has 8, why don't we just make the
> propery 4 or 8 values, depending on the model? How the LEDs are set doesn't
> matter to the user or xsetwacom, they just tweak the property.

In fact, I was trying to report the LED in such a way that X driver
doesn't even need to know the device model.

There are two ways to implement this:

1.  through sysfsctl: since the current interface doesn't provide the
set and number of LEDs info. We'll need to add new interface(s) for
it. The interface would be specific to Wacom driver only.

2.  through ioctl: we need to add ABS_LED_STATUS. But once we have
that axis, the information can be reported and retrieved through the
standard ioctl interface as we do for the other ABS events.

I choice option 2 since I think we should limit the customized
interface as much as we can.

Ping