2011/9/29 Peter Hutterer <peter.hutte...@who-t.net>:
> Much further down the line is the magic LED changes that we talked about in
> the other thread - changing the LED at the same time as all button
> assignments.

Here some of my thoughts. Please take them with a grain of salt,
because I'm just "thinking loud".

* Having a stable interface betweein all the components is hard.
Components meaning kernel driver, x11 driver, library, external
software.
When taking the LEDs as an example: For the "nice to have" features
(I'm not using the table professionally), the kernel driver patch, the
x11 driver patch, and the external tool patch has to be developed and
maintained. This seems to be very restrictive, and possibly kill
interest of volunteers (like myself).

* I have no concrete picture yet on how the Intuos/Cintiq LED stuff
can be exposed reasonably by a library. In particular, I have not the
slightest idea how future (wacom) devices might look like, and how to
provide enough extensibility for it.

* There are one or two design patterns, which provide at least "on
paper" the possibility to support more than one (G-)UI. (Possibly
far-fetched) examples are Firefox and OpenOffice, which work on at
least three platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS). I'm _not_ saying we
should support other kernels (aside from Linux or maybe BSD), but
having support for GTK and QT would already provide a lot.

* Question wrt my needs: Is there already a daemon which could provide
per-application shortcuts and button/axis assignments? If yes, then
this would at least give a good reason for having a software external
to the wacom x11 driver.

* It would be nice to have a means of querying the value range for a
Input Device Property. I assume that the X11 protocol will not provide
this in the near future.

Do you think it is worth elaborating my statements?

Eduard