Discussion seems to have died down, so I'd like to propose a design.
If there are any comments you'd like to make, be sure to get them in.
I hope to start start the coding phase on Monday, and the less
backpedaling I have to do, the better :)

I plan on exposing the three "hardware control buttons" from the
kernel with KEY events. The rightmost button will send KEY_PROG1 when
the touchstrip sends 0x0001, 0x0002, or 0x0004. The middle button will
send KEY_PROG2 when the touchstrip sends 0x0020, 0x0040, or 0x0080.
The leftmost button will send KEY_PROG3 when the touchstrip sends
0x0400, 0x0800, or 0x1000. The initial implementation in the
xf86-input-wacom driver will have these events treated identically to
BTN_* events. Since this tablet will exceed WCM_MAX_MOUSE_BUTTONS, it
may be necessary to bump the value of this up somewhat. While I've
done minimal testing that shows increased values work, I'd feel a
*lot* better if I knew the reason behind its present value.

The second touchring will be exposed from the kernel either on a new
ABS_WHEEL2 axis (if approved by Dmitry) or the ABS_RUDDER axis (if we
can't add a new axis). The xf86-input-wacom driver will add a new
field to WacomDeviceState which will store the value from this axis.
The raw value for this axis will be sent out in a 7th valuator. It
will be treated similar to "abswheel", meaning that by default it will
be set up to act as a scroll wheel. To allow configuration of this
behavior, the "Wacom Wheel Buttons" property will be expanded to
incorporate space for two additional buttons corresponding to each
scroll direction. Additionally, xsetwacom will be modified to include
"WheelRightUp" and "WheelRightDown" options to set these
appropriately.

Jason

---
Day xee-nee-svsh duu-'ushtlh-ts'it;