On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Mike Rolland <none...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le vendredi 30 décembre 2011 à 11:37 -0600, Chris Bagwell a écrit :
>
>>  * Run "dmesg | grep ASUSTek" and look for line telling if kernel
>> driver has been installed for this device.
>
> [root@hpm mike]# dmesg | grep ASUSTek
> usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
> input: ASUSTek Computer, Inc. Eee Note Digitizer as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:1.0/input/input14
> generic-usb 0003:0B05:179F.0002: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Mouse
> [ASUSTek Computer, Inc. Eee Note Digitizer] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2/input0

OK, this is the part I want to concentrate on.  That USB HID v1.10
Mouse part means its probably being reported to userland as a strange
mouse+pen combo device.  Its related to the HID report for digitizer
declaring a mouse (required by Microsoft for tabletPC's I think even
if its not really used).

To better see what kernel is doing, you'll need to install the
"evtest" app from your distro's repo.  Run it as root and from a
console (not from X) or it will hide some stuff from you.

evtest /dev/input/eventtX  <--- The value for X is usually found from
trail and error.

Please send what this displays.  You can pipe to a file as well
(evtest /dev/input/eventX > log).

>> I googled for this USB ID and got one result where it said its being
>> detected as a generic HID Mouse.  This would not be a good thing and
>> all your work in xf86-input-wacom or xf86-input-evdev will be in vain
>> until kernel side issue is resolved.
>
> Not really sure about that.
> Often the problem comes only from XF86 driver, but like I told to Favux, I
> will have a look to wacom dev kernel libs. The first time I made my homebrew
> with my WALTOP tablet, I remember I change something in kernel driver. So...

In last year, I think problem areas have moved.  xf86-input-wacom and
xf86-input-evdev have become quite stable for new
digitizers/tabletPC's and touchscreens without modifications.  The
issues are almost always in kernel now for new hardware.

I see people go to great lengths though to hack up xf86-input-*
instead of fixing the real kernel side issue and try to ignore that
invalid mouse information.

When we see the mouse+touchscreen issue in recent times, the cure is
to get the hid-multitouch driver to control the touchscreen.

In your case, its a mouse+pen so I'm not sure what driver its supposed
to be routed to.  If the Asus web page that Favux is to be trusted,
its a Wacom digitizer and so maybe it should be handled by wacom
driver.  I have seen Wacom commonly use 0x81 as Endpoint address for
PEN's so thats a good sign.

I'd try the hint given by Favux and update the file wacom_wac.c from
input-wacom package to understand Eee product ID's.

Chris