On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Nikolai Kondrashov <spbn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Today I've started implementing a driver for Waltop Sirius Battery Free
> tablet. As it turns out, it reports pen tilting, which is a rare thing for
> non-Wacom tablets!
>
> Could someone please explain what ABS_TILT_X and ABS_TILT_Y event values are
> supposed to mean? What are the units and ranges?
>
> Also, what the X applications are expecting as tilting valuator values?
>
> My expectation was that the values match the HID usage tables spec
> description of "X Tilt" and "Y Tilt" usages (see 16.3.2 Tilt Orientation).
> I.e. positive/negative fractions of the X/Y arcs, which probably cover 90
> degrees both ways, since nobody is looking at the resolution. Interestingly
> enough, the spec says positive inclination is bottom right corner, but the
> tablet assumes top right.
>
> However, after reading xf86-input-wacom sources I got somewhat confused.
>
> Could someone clarify this?

I do not have a tablet with tilt, nor experience on how userland uses
it.  And probably I should have read that HID section before replying
but...

I do see all Wacom tablets with Tilt support report tilt X/Y declaring
a value between 0 and 127.  I also see these tablets advertised on web
with Tilt Range of +/- 60 degrees.  So I'm going to take a wild guess
since 60 + 60 ~= 127 the units are degrees.

Hopefully, those missing degree's aren't hard coded in apps such as gimp!

Chris