Hi Jason,

Jason Gerecke said the following on 06/19/2012 06:43 PM:

I just tested a Bamboo Fun (CTH-661) and all four buttons are working
for me. From top to bottom I get the following button events in xev:
3, 8, 9, 1 (not sure if that's inverted or not).

Yes, I do get the reverse order 1, 9, 8, 3 but it's the same buttons being reported in xev (I guess you have the pad on the right, ie left-handed mode, right?)

The problem is that it breaks the logic in libwacom and therefore in GNOME settings daemon in several ways.

1. The last button is not used because libwacom rightfully report 4 Pad buttons

libwacom does not give access to the actual list of buttons, only the number of buttons with that statement:

   /**
     * Tablet buttons are numbered 'A' through to 'A' + number of buttons.
     *
     * @param device The tablet to query
     * @return The number of buttons on the tablet
     */
   int libwacom_get_num_buttons(WacomDevice *device);

But button 9 would be named 'E' and with only 4 buttons we have access to buttons A to D, not E... Adding 'E' in place of B in the libwacom database does not help either because the buttons are not as stated, ie numbered 'A' through to 'A' + number of buttons.

2. The buttons are not reported in order

Currently libwacom does not give access to the actual button order as listed in the libwacom database, so if the buttons do not match their physical order on the device, there is no way to tell.

That's bad because the UI will list buttons but the user has no way way to tell what matches the actual button on his tablet (I am currently working on an OSD helper window that will help match the buttons visually, but without any reliable way to get the buttons is a ordered list, the buttons in the OSD window will unlikely match the actual buttons, especally if those buttons are not reported in order).

To address both issues, I did post a patch for libwacom some time ago, but that patch received a "big nak" and a hint that the driver should be fixed instead.

That's what I mean when I said this patch does not address the issue.

Cheers,
Olivier.

That said, I do appear to have problems getting any of the buttons to
work if the tablet is hotplugged after the X server is up and running.
It appears to be a GNOME (or maybe libwacom) bug though since I don't
experience the problem when starting fluxbox instead.

Jason

---
Day xee-nee-svsh duu-'ushtlh-ts'it;
nuu-wee-ya' duu-xan' 'vm-nvshtlh-ts'it.