Hi all,

It seems GNOME settings daemon was modelled after the I4, where you
have multiple modes (4 on the I4) and a single mode-switch button.

Pressing the mode-switch will cycle between the mode, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1,
2, etc.

The hardware on the 24HD is different, there are 3 modes per ring, and
3 mode-switch buttons per ring. So of course, the user expects that
pressing the first one will switch to mode 1, the second to mode 2 and
the third to mode 3.

But GNOME setting daemon does not do that. it treats all modeswitch
the same, so pressing any of the mode-switch buttons for the first
ring will cycle between the mode (just like on the I4). That's wrong
and definitely not what users would expect.

The data/wacom.example files reads:

   # The location of the various rings, if associated with a button
   # or buttons.
   # For example, a single button in the middle of the touchring, like
   # on the Intuos4 tablets. You will need to mention the number of modes
   # that the button allows if there isn't one button per mode.
   Ring=A
   RingNumModes=4
   # Or the 2nd touchring associated with 3 buttons like the Cintiq24HD
   Ring2=I;J;K
   # Implied, as we have 3 buttons for that ring
   Ring2NumModes=3

   # If the touchstrips have mode toggling through a button
   # like on the Cintiq 21UX2
   Touchstrip=A
   Touchstrip2=J
   # We assume the same number of modes for each of the touchstrips
   # if there is more than one
   StripsNumModes=4

So to distinguish between a single mode-switch button that toggles
between multiple modes (like the I4), and multiple mode-switch buttons
that select a given mode (like the 24HD), one has to count how many
buttons have the *MODESWITCH flag and compare than against the number
of modes for that same touchring/touchstrip?

Cheers,
Olivier.