I routinely have a scenario where I need to add a column to a table,
populate the column with data and then set the column to not null.  This
would be simple enough if the table were small, but I'm dealing with a
multi-TB data warehouse.  What I currently do is add the column, split
up the work to populate the column among several jobs and then execute
the jobs in parallel.  I watch to see when all of the jobs have
completed and then I run a step to mark the column as required.

Can a liquibase install hang around and wait the previous task is
complete before continuing on to the next task?  In some cases,
populating the data could take many hours if not days, so I'm not sure
having a process hanging around is the best idea.  Thoughts?