On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:42 AM, Luigi Iannone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 1, 2011, at 00:57 , Jari Arkko wrote:
>
>> Yakov,
>>
>>> Furthermore, as John Scudder asked in his e-mail on 9/28, "the base
>>> spec calls out a number of areas that require more experimentation.
>>> A simple grep will find these. These experiments and what has been
>>> learned from them should be documented.  The same applies if other
>>> specs have similar caveats (I just haven't looked for them)."
>>> The charter needs to explicitly include in the Goals and Milestones
>>> the document(s) that cover this.
>>>

>> I would love to see documents in the charter that describe experiences from
>> simulation/implementation/measurement/real-world use, and shed light on
>> these issues.
>>

> There are a bunch of research papers out there that are interesting for the
> WG. Would it make sense to create kind of an informational document with
> pointers to the papers and a summary of the main results?
>
> Or you are suggesting a different document for each open issue?

(I can't speak for Jari of course, but...)

I'm not fussed about how many documents are produced.  What I do think is
desirable is to close the open issues in some way.  This could be in an omnibus
document that cites other papers as you describe, or separately.  The main
thing would be to allow the reader to relate a given "needs experimentation"
placeholder to the experimental results and conclusion.  I think this can be
phrased broadly enough in the list of milestones that it doesn't tie the hands
of the chairs in deciding what documents to produce.

I also expect that as issues are resolved, it would make sense to update the
base spec wherever there's now a "needs experimentation" placeholder.  In fact,
that could be an explicit goal and milestone of its own.

--John