Hi all

I would like to ask the WG about this section, should we we describe
the problem that LISP is trying to solve in the Introduction section?

Some people suggest that we should while others that it provides too
many details.

Below you can find a sample description of the problem statement.

Thanks

Albert

   There is a rough consensus that the Internet routing and addressing
   system is facing severe scalability issues [RFC4984].  Specifically,
   the growth in the size of the routing tables of the Default-Free Zone
   (DFZ) is accelerating and showing a supra-linear slope [DFZ].  The
   main driving force behind this growth is the de-aggregation of BGP
   prefixes, which results from the existing BGP multihoming and traffic
   engineering mechanisms that are used -at the time of this writing- on
   the Internet, as well as non-aggregatable address allocations.

   This issue has two profound implications, on the one hand Internet
   core routers are exposed to the network dynamics of the edge.  For
   instance this typically leads to an increased amount of BGP UPDATE
   messages (churn), which results in additional processing requirements
   of Internet core routers in order to timely compute the DFZ RIB.
   Secondly, the supra-linear growth imposes strong requirements on the
   size of the memory storing the DFZ FIB.  Both aspects lead to an
   increase on the development and production cost of high-end routers,
   and it is unclear if the semiconductor and router manufacturer
   industries will be able to cope, in the long-term, with such
   stringent requirements in a cost-effective way[RFC4984].

   Although this important scalability issue is relatively new, the
   architectural reasons behind it are well-known many years ago.
   Indeed, and as pointed out by [Chiappa], IP addresses have overloaded
   semantics.  Currently, IP addresses both identify the topological
   location of a network attachment point as well as the node's
   identity.  However, nodes and routing have fundamentally different
   requirements, routing systems require that addresses are aggregatable
   and have topological meaning, while nodes require to be identified
   independently of their current location.