>>> DSA: what about creating a specific document for reachability? something
>>> like liveness problem?
>>
>> Here are the reasons:
>>
>> (1) We don’t want to have too many documents for someone to read to get the
>> full picture of the LISP data-plane and control-plane.
>>
> Who is we? The WG or the authors?

The initial people who started out this effort. That is, Albert, Luigi, you,
and me.

> What is the difference between reading 50 pages in 2 documents or 50 pages
> well structured in 3 documents?

It is more convenient to have things in one place.

> People willing to have just a brief understanding of LISP may not be
> interested in knowing the liveness

They can get a brief understanding from draft-ietf-lisp-introduction, which is
already a separate document. Remember a few years ago, we thought it was worth
while having an introduction to the architecture and protocols outside of the
main specs. So we already have many specs.

> check techniques. On the other hand, many people know LISP but don’t know how
> liveness checks are performed, they would thus probably enjoy more a specific
> document that talk about that instead of having to decipher a large document
> that talks about everything.

If there are too many pieces, and a person that DOES want detail, will then not
go to all the documents and can miss that. We already have 14 RFCs and I think
the modularity we have is a fine balance.

>> (2) We have broken it up where another data-plane has sufficient information
>> to use the LISP control-plane in one document. If that data-plane wants to
>> use the some data-plane features of LISP, they go examine RFC6830bis for it.
> I am not sure I get it. For me liveness is a control-plane matter that may
> potentially use the data-plane.

Echo-noncing is also a liveness mechanism. But since its defined part of the
encapsulation header, it needs to be in the data-plane document. RLOC-probing
is performed at non-forwarding time but it interacts with RLOC-probing, that is
if nonces have been echoed, RLOC-probes may be suppressed. And only the
data-plane cares about liveness since it cares about encapsulating to RLOCs
that are reachable.

> Also there are many possible solutions and that would be worth explaining the
> rational of each one, their pros and cons and in what environment to use
> them, hence the proposition of a separate document that can explain clearly
> that.

Again, if I was registering EID ‘damien’ with RLOC <gps-coordinates>, I would
not care about using RLOC-probing because the RLOC is on attached to the
Internet and you can’t encapsulate to it. So again, this is a data-plane
function only.

>> (2) Since the SMR is originated by an data-plane node (the ETR), it should
>> be part of the data-plane document.
>
> No really a valid argument. Map-Requests, map-reply, map-notify … are
> originated by data-plane nodes, it doesn’t mean that map-request must be in
> data-plane, actually they are in the control-plane document already now.

Well we originally had those control-plane messages in one place. But we were
forced to split it up. So we can’t have both. And all those message types you
illustrate are originated by non data-plane nodes all the time.

> For me SMR is really a control-plane matter. It is an element to permit the
> control of the content of the EID-to-RLOC cache and it is optional, the
> data-plane can work without this feature at all. Also in terms

It cannot work without this feature. If an RLOC-set changes, and if the ITR
doesn’t support this, it encapsulates packets to either black holes or to the
wrong place.

>> (1) We have decided that the network elements, in their purest form are
>> introduced in this data-plane document and that more specific deployment
>> scenarios belong in RFC7215.
>>
> Who is we? The WG or the authors?

Albert and I prposed this at the working group in Berlin and Seoul.

>> Well it is up to the querier to decide how to populate. For instance, a lig
>> client that doesn’t even have a map-cache is a querier, it decides to do the
>> lookup and simply print the Map-Reply results on a screen or UI.
>
> right, so what about changing to:
>
> Tunnel routers are equipped with a cache,
>  called map-cache, that contains EID-to-RLOC mappings.  The map-cache
>  _CAN be_ populated using the LISP Control-Plane protocol
>  [I-D.ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis].

That language is already there. Is it not?

>>> DSA: maybe we could deprecate this feature (I don't see a reason to be in
>>> the specs, it is an implementation feature, isn't it?)
>>
>> We should NOT depercate this feature. It is a way of timing out entries and
>> important for map-cache management. And that is certainly something ITR
>> specific and hence belongs in the data-plane document.
>
> I agree that deprecated is not the right word. For me it is an implementation
> detail, hence not needed to be document in the specs but of course it can be
> implemented.

Clock sweep is still recommended by vendors. And it should.

Dino