Trimmed...
I agree with Dino here. There has never been a requirement that the LISP data plane work with anything other than the LISP control plane.

Strictly speaking, it is not even a requirement that the LISP control plane be capable of supporting anything other than the LISP data plane. However, we have found that to be useful, and so are going a short way down that path (there are still assumptions abou tthe data plane behavior that are needed for control plane robustness, which is fine.)

Yours,
Joel