Hi Mirja,

trying to follow up on this issue.

The ECN text for encapsulation is currently:

      The 'Explicit Congestion Notification' (ECN) field (bits 6 and 7
      of the IPv6 'Traffic Class' field) requires special treatment in
      order to avoid discarding indications of congestion [RFC3168
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3168>].
      ITR encapsulation MUST copy the 2-bit 'ECN' field from the inner
      header to the outer header.  Re-encapsulation MUST copy the 2-bit
      'ECN' field from the stripped outer header to the new outer
      header.

Can we keep it as it is (updating the reference to 6040)?

The text for decapsulation is:

CURRENT:
      The 'Explicit Congestion Notification' (ECN) field (bits 6 and 7
      of the IPv6 'Traffic Class' field) requires special treatment in
      order to avoid discarding indications of congestion [RFC6040
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6040>].  If
      the 'ECN' field contains a congestion indication codepoint (the
      value is '11', the Congestion Experienced (CE) codepoint), then
      ETR decapsulation MUST copy the 2-bit 'ECN' field from the
      stripped outer header to the surviving inner header that is used
      to forward the packet beyond the ETR.  These requirements preserve
      CE indications when a packet that uses ECN traverses a LISP tunnel
      and becomes marked with a CE indication due to congestion between
      the tunnel endpoints.  Implementations exist that copy the 'ECN'
      field from the outer header to the inner header even though
      [RFC6040 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6040>] does not recommend this
behavior.  It is RECOMMENDED
      that implementations change to support the behavior in [RFC6040
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6040>].

Which I suggest we shrink to:

NEW:

      The 'Explicit Congestion Notification' (ECN) field (bits 6 and 7
      of the IPv6 'Traffic Class' field) requires special treatment in
      order to avoid discarding indications of congestion [RFC6040
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6040>].
      Note that implementations exist that copy the 'ECN'
      field from the outer header to the inner header even though
      [RFC6040 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6040>] does not recommend such
behavior.  It is RECOMMENDED
      that implementations change, so to support the specifications in [RFC6040
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6040>].

The text above clearly states that implementations should be conform to 6040.

Is it what you were looking for?

Or am I missing something?

Ciao

L.