On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 11:06:33AM -0700, Dino Farinacci wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand the need for "use a different key for consecutive
> > messages", but probably we should just talk about that on Tuesday.
>
> Well in your last reply you felt it was okay if we used the nonce in each
> Map-Register for a new key per message.
>
> What this addition brings is use of a different PSK with nonce for a new
> authentication key, per message.
>
> If you think it’s not necessary, we can leave it out.
>
> But it is not clear to me if you support app-key per Fabio’s suggestion. Can
> you clarify that a nonce and PSK by themselves is sufficient?

My sense is that it's fine to have a single configured PSK (per pair of
communicating entities, of course), provided that both a per-message nonce
and a context string identifying the type of message that the derived key
is used for are included as input to the key derivation.

For HKDF specifically, we might consider that HKDF-Extract takes a public
'salt' (a "non-secret random value") and HKDF-Expand takes an optional
'info', but also that Section 3.4 mandates that the salt must not be chosen
or manipulated by an attacker.  Since I don't think the current LISP
mechanisms can provide such a guarantee for any of the nonces (until after
we use the derived key), it seems that both the nonce and message-type
context would need to be introduced in 'info', with some length-prefix or
zero separator to enforce separation between those components of the 'info'
parameter.

-Ben