Good morning,

     I would like to propose the immediate release of ircII-
EPIC4 2.0.1, regardless of whether any more "critical"  bugs
are  uncovered.  I would justify this position via the rela-
tively poor state of the 2.0 release, in which several  sig-
nificant bugs were reported after the release had been made.

     Consider the typical user of  the  2.0  release.   Upon
installing  the current, tested, released production version
of the client, starting it, and pressing ^S, the  poor  user
is  greeted  with a panic screen.  The solution, apparently,
is either "don't do that" or "upgrade to the CVS version".

     To me, neither of these options are acceptable.  EPIC's
reputation  as  an "unstable" program are often lamented;  I
must wonder if such problems as this are not the exact  rea-
son for such a reputation.  To have such an easily-triggered
crash is not only inconvenient for users, but, I would  say,
an  unacceptable  situation in what claims to be the produc-
tion version of a mature software product.

     Furthermore, I see no disadvantage to the production of
a  new  patchlevel  release,  other than the small amount of
manual effort required to do so; if this effort is so  great
that  it  poses  a  problem, I would be quite happy to do it
myself!

Regards,
Edward.