Roeland and all,

  My My hasn't this thread gotten allot of attention!!  >;)  And no small wonder
either!  I personally find it both interesting and amusing that so much
attention on how the Whois should be managed is so overwhelmingly
of so much concern to so many on this list.

  In attempt to bring some levity and common sense to this thread lets
look at some facts.

1.)The Whois database and app interface is the property of NSI.

2.) Access or levels of access is strictly NSI's decision as they own it
     ( See #1 ).

3.) Restricting access will NOT work regardless of how it is approached.
     a.)  The why's and wherefores are well known and not worth Mb's
            of discussion to anyone.

PERSONAL OPINION:

  If NSI wants to restrict access to the Whois database they should do so
based on who their DIRECT customers are or whom is a stock holder
in NSI stock.  However I believe that much good will would be lost
to NSI should the restrict access to the Whois database at all.

  If NSI is using considering restriction to the Whois Database as a
vehicle to reduce or eliminate spamm, it is a poor and unfair approach
to the Internet Stakeholder.  There are many other approaches that are
much more effective, if used in concert, than restricting or eliminating
access to the Whois Database.  Yes, these methods are no doubt,
more expensive.  But you get what you pay for for the most part
in this world.