A few thoughts on constituences and memberships.

Speaking for myself, I've waffled on the whole constituency thing for a
long time. I first thought they'd be a good idea, then I thought that
they would not, and now I'm really indifferent. I've realized though that
the changes in my thinking have occurred because of the shifts in
thinking about how the DNSO would make its policy recommendations.

Now that there appears to be consensus (among *all* groups, including
AIP, ORSC, CENTRE, dnso.org, INTA, and all of the commentators) that the
Names Council should not be able to go into a room, close the door, and
emerge with a policy recommendation, I have no strong opinion on whether
the Names Council should have constituencies or not. Under the draft that
was just circulated, there is a clear mechanism for making policy
recommendations (Section 5). This process includes an open, public
meeting of the General Assembly, open comment periods on all drafts, and
fair hearings and reviews for persons and companies that believe the
policy process is headed in the wrong direction. I think this guarantees
everyone who has an interest in DNS policy the opportunity to impact its
development.

A balanced, fluid, constituency-based Names Council (along the lines
advocated by CENTRE) simply initiates and then guides this open, public
process. There are very important commercial and consumer interests
though that have made a huge investment in the internet and who want a
guaranteed venue for participation. It is obviously important to include
them in this process. If a seat on the Names Council gives them some
comfort that the process will work better, then I'm certainly not against
it. As long as the policy recommendations come from a larger, open, flat
membership (a la the "General Assembly"), I'm satisfied that the process
will work.

This latest "draft" Draft is obviously a compromise, but those of us who
advocated a flat membership without constituencies can take great comfort
(and some pride) in the fact that we've moved all of the participants in
our direction. There is now consensus, I believe, that the Names Council
is not a private, "council of elders:" it is a manager of the process.

That's good enough for me, and I hope, a place for compromise.

   -- Bret