On 06-Feb-99 Javier SOLA wrote:

> >> The Paris draft is a huge compromise that provides for a truly balanced
> >> representation.
> >
> >The Paris meeting was an invitation-only meeting heavily biased
> >towards registries, and the Registries draft is a reflection of that.
>
>  Also my feeling, Kent, in Paris they forgot a little detail... there is no
>  Internet without the users, and there is not posible government of the
>  Internet or body of it that excludes *them* and all their rights.
>
>  Presenting to ICANN an application that says that registries will have
>  more power than the ICANN board.... just doesn't seems like a very smart
>  move to me. Can you think of a committee of assistants of members of
>  parlament who can veto the decissions of the plenary? where did democracy
>  go?

Javier, I urge you to reread the application draft, you will see that in
reality, the users are better represented in the Paris Draft than in the
DNSO.org/INTA submitted draft.  In the DNSO.org/INTO draft, users are GREATLY
restricted, whereas business/commercial and trademark interests get
representation in at least two constituencies each.

The Paris draft presents a MUCH better opportunity for users than the
DNSO.org/INTA draft does.  And it does so in a much fairer manner.

Please people, do not take these people's word on this stuff. READ THE DRAFTS
and ask yourself these questions.  Form your own opinion and PLEASE, above all,
MAKE YOUR OPINION KNOWN by posting to the various lists of this discussion, but
particularly to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list (please see http://lists.ifwp.org if you
are not on it).

The people so far on this list endorsing this proposal are all CORE members,
who under their draft will have a great amount of control, at the expense of
users and every one else but the rich trademark interests.

READ the drafts.  Take the time, and make your opinions heard.  If you speak on
behalf of an organization, company, or other entity, also let that be known,
but just as important are individual endorsements.

The WITSA (or DNSO.org/INTA) Draft application is at:
http://www.witsa.org/press/domainapp.htm

The Paris Application (Supported by CENTR, RIPE, IATLD, APTLD, directly by a
number of ccTLD registries, ORSC, AIP, and others) :
http://dnso.association.org/

The lists currently active with DNSO discussions :

Forum for the White Paper.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (info at
http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/lwgate/DOMAIN-POLICY/) sponsored by
Internet/Network Solutions

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (info at http://www.open-rsc.org/lists/ ) sponsored
by the Open Root Server Confederation

sponsored by the DNSO.org effort

sponsored by the DNSO.org effort (closed list restricted to physical
participants of the two DNSO.org meetings plus those added by the "Leadership"
of DNSO.org that they felt would further their cause).

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (info at
http://dnso.association.org/discussions.html) sponsored by the Association of
Internet Professionals who is also hosting the current "official" location of
the Paris Draft.

Read the two drafts, read the side by side comparisons of the previous
historical drafts at http://www.domainhandbook.com/comp-dnso.html to see what
led up to these two drafts.

But above all, do not be silent.  In this case, every single one of us is a
stakeholder, and we have an important responsibility, not only to ourselves and
our own interests, but to those who are not represented in these forums, those
who, for whatever reason, and not involved right now.  We must examine what is
fair, and be willing to compromise on those things that are in our own self
interests in order to reach a fair an open consensus.

Is the Paris draft the ideal I would want if the decision were mine solely?
No.  But in my opinion, having been a part of this process, it presents the
best example of a fair compromise effort we have seen, and has strong value
s of fairness and openness at it's base.  We are already seeing the
consequences of a closed process in the ICANN.  Do we really want to see that
happen in the DNSO also?  The DNSO can be the tool through which we force the
entire issue to be open and fair.  The DNSO.org/WITSA draft only guarantees the
same level of openness that ICANN will committ to.  Is that really enough for
you?  Do you trust them that much?  Do you not want some accountability in the
decisions made?

Send a clear message, and do not take my word, or the word of Kent Crispin or
Javier Sola, or Amadeu Abril i Abril about what these drafts mean or what they
contain.  Read them yourself.

E-Mail: William X. Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06-Feb-99
Time: 00:29:47
"We may well be on our way to a society overrun by hordes
of lawyers, hungry as locusts."
- Chief Justice Warren Burger, US Supreme Court, 1977