Kerry Miller wrote:

> Suppose that every purchaser of internet service fills out a form
> which is registered at the next higher level of access, be it ISP or
> DN management or whatever. I'm not fluent in the terminology here
> (LDAP?), but it does seem like the 'infrastructure' is in place for a
> tree of auditable information.

You are suggesting that the access provider be in charge of member
verification?  But I have three different access accounts with three different
providers, one at home, one at work and one wireless.  Guess I get three
votes.  And how often will people change providers?  Who purges the membership
roles in that case?  I'm not sure I see any difference how people sign up
(directly with ICANN or through ISPs); at some point ICANN must decide whether
to use a one citizen-one vote standard that is arguably representative or it
must default in favor of the parties who have the energy, access and interest
to go the distance.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Diane Cabell
MAC