Roberto and all,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Stef,
>
> You wrote:
>
>   - snip -
>
> > I call it "distributing the ignorance" regarding what positions
> > constituencies will take.  This is because the future is unknown and
> > unknowable, so we cannot depeind on our "knowing" it.
> >
> I wish you find the time to do it.
> In fact, there are two alternative approaches to the balance of the
> constituencies.
>
> The first one is: I get the biggest share and rule.
> The second one is: Let's figure out how to avoid that somebody applies the
> first approach.

  The second one is the only one that is going to survive the long term.

> The first one has been attempted by ccTLDs in the beginning of the MTY
> meeting (but we all have to admit that they changed their mind during the
> meeting), and is not impossible that the same play may be attempted by
> somebody (guess who?) in the next meeting.
>
> My rough guess is that people will eventually be convinced that solution 1
> is unfeasible (in a context where enough diversity is granted, like a DNSO
> where all participate), and therefore solution 2 will be the only chance.

  Agreed.  But this doesn't seem to be the direction that the DNSO.ORG
seems to be heading, does it?

> You may remember that even in Monterrey there was a large group that liked
> your approach. Also, Kent Crispin had an even more radical approach: 1 vote
> each constituency, the rest for the At-Large.

  Well it should be fairly obvious that Kents approach cannot work as it
is by nature divisive and says, "Us against Them".  Kents approach
you mention here sets one group up against another by design.  That design
cannot work long term and really accomplish anything of value to the
Stakeholders.

> It may work, when people will be ready to abandon solution 1......

  Which may work?  Kents?  I don't think so....