Greg and all,

Greg Skinner wrote:

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At 10:47 AM 2/19/99 -0800, Greg Skinner wrote:
>>There is a comprehensive discussion of the effect of adding many more
>>TLDs on DNS by Keith Moore.  You can find it at

>>http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/email/late.htm

>>It is submission #423.

>I just looked, it is NOT a technical discussion and he adds about 80%
>personal opinion. As such, it doesn't answer el's question.

Most of what I have read on this subject is personal opinion, as there
is no hard data (we don't have hundreds of thousands of TLDs now), nor
have there been simulations, as far as I know.

  BEEEEEEPPPP!  WRONG!  You don't win the door prize Greg.
We have conducted several simulations and have sent that data to the
IESG, IETF and the IANA (Jon Postel) upon someone's request
(I forget who at the moment) and did so over a year ago now.

I happen to agree with the opinions expressed by Keith Moore, as they
match with my experience.

  Well lets just say that your experience is terribly lacking and leave it at that.

But even you would have to admit that by adding lots of TLDs, extra
orders of magnitude are induced in the DNS process, because queries
are going further up the tree than they would otherwise be.

  So? Your point?

--gregbo

Contact Number:  972-447-1894