Michael Froomkin,

   Thank you for this!

 In paragraph 15.3 you write "RFC 3 proposes a mandatory online
international business-to-consumer  arbitration-in-all-but-name."

Do you mean 'in-name-only,' or am I confused by the reliance of
ADR on 'arbitral procedures'?  And if 'administrative' is in distinction
to 'legal' dispute resolution, does NSI claim thats what its present
policy is?

In para 20, "A significant part of these problems, but alas not all,
could be avoided if the party invoking the WIPO-ADR were required
to consent to jurisdiction in the jurisdiction where the registrant
resides in the event that the registrant wished to stay or
overturn the WIPO-ADR decision."

This at least would avoid the effect of making some (eg country
code) TLDs more attractive registries than others.  (Why indeed
should they be involved in the process at all?)

One gets the feeling that WIPO hopes that the 'general principles'
concept  will bring about uniform international intellectual-property
laws. As you point out ( para 22), this puts the cart before the
horse with a vengeance; until such IIP law is in place,  the entire
ADR process will be arbitrary and unpredictable.  This seems to
me to be just the kind of orientation Milton Mueller commented on:
> The TM lawyers' essentially static mode of thinking looks at the
> domain name resource as if the current situation will never
change..
 with the difference being that the WIPO lawyers are casting the
nominated future as already being current.

Re para 86: "As noted above, requiring the registrants of personal
domains, or even the sole operator of a home-based business, to
make her name, telephone number, address, and perhaps other
information, part of a public, searchable, database, undermines
basic privacy values. This data base may someday include the
name and contact details of every computer user in the world.
Every collector and holder of this personal data should be required
to take steps to ensure that this data is not released except when
absolutely necessary."

   Would an anonymous remailer serve the purpose?

-----------
 Am I wrong, or do the Bylaws state that WIPO does not have an
exclusive resolutional franchise? If thats the case, how could
ICANN hold all registrars to any WIPO recommendations, even if it
wanted to?

And, thinking digitally, wouldnt it be practicable to have a 'hit
counter' placed on a disputed site to show how many consumers
actually are confused or misled by the name? Of course the
registrant (but not the visitors) would be notified that the site was to
be tapped (randomly?) for X length of time, but together with a
comparable record of traffic at the disputants site over the same
time, the court or arbitrator would at least have some real data to
look at.  (I accept that there may have to be an entry in the
registration data as to what goods or services a *commercial -- i.e.
potentially infringing -- site expects to provide.)

As for 'famous names' generally, I am inclined to think that the net
will make the concept useless if it isnt already.  (I aim to be the
first person who becomes famous by virtue of *not having a famous
name - therefore it should be protected!)

kerry