To my mind, the issue of ownership is only partially an intellectual
property issue (OK, mostly).

One of the problems, as I see it, is that many of us are running
around asserting right for the US govt.  We are saying that by law
(and contract and the phase of the moon) the US government owns
intellectual property rights in the database.  NSI is asserting
(there's no law against asserting) rights for themselves.  Most
importantly, the US govt. is not agreeing with us.  That puts us in
the position of a lawyer arguing with our client, except that USG is
not our client.  It also means we are arguing with ourselves (sorta)
as many of us are US citizens and (sometimes) pay taxes to that same
US govt.

So it seems to me that if we feel that the US govt. is abandoning its
(our) rights in an asset, we (that means you and not be 'cause I ain't
a US citizen or even a resident) should complain formally and if that
fails, if we (that's you) feel that a loss has occurred, we (you)
should file the appropriate papers (again that's you and don't ask me
to do it).

Now off to see Bill Lovell's site for a look at that guitar...

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin
Box 532, RR1            phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec         fax:   (819) 827-4398
J0X 1N0                 e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]