Thanks. You have my permission to reprint this....

Actually, thanks for the free advertising!

Esther

At 07:24 PM 08/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>INTELLECTUAL VALUE
>by Esther Dyson
>
>Wired 3.07 (1995)
>(excerpt)
>"In a new environment, such as the gravity field of the moon,
>laws of physics play out differently. On the Net, there is an
>equivalent change in "gravity" brought about by the ease of
>information transfer. We are entering a new economic
>environment - as different as the moon is from the earth -
>where a new set of physical rules will govern what intellectual
>property means, how opportunities are created from it, who
>prospers, and who loses.
>
>Chief among the new rules is that "content is free." While not all
>content will be free, the new economic dynamic will operate as
>if it were. In the world of the Net, content (including software)
>will serve as advertising for services such as support,
>aggregation, filtering, assembly and integration of content
>modules, or training of customers in their use. Intellectual
>property that can be copied easily likely will be copied. It will be
>copied so easily and efficiently that much of it will be distributed
>free in order to attract attention or create desire for follow-up
>services that can be charged for. Advertising has a poor
>reputation in many quarters because most advertising is
>designed for a broad market. But in the one-to-one world the
>Net promises, advertising will often be tailored and of higher
>quality. Those with more money to spend will get higher-quality
>advertising.
>
>What should content makers do in such an inverted world? The
>likely best course for content providers is to exploit that
>situation, to distribute intellectual property free in order to sell
>services and relationships. The provider's vital task is to figure
>out what to charge for and what to give away - all in the
>context of what other providers are doing and what customers
>(will grow to) expect.

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Problems/suggestions regarding this list? Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>___END____________________________________________

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

High-Tech Forum in Europe:  October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: 21 to 24  March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"