It is time to raise the issue yet again of the distressing fact that the Board
meetings of ICANN are closed. Many moons ago several of us strongly suggested that it
would be appropriate for the ICANN Board to operate under the same set of rules that
US Federal Advisory Boards operate under as well as NotForProfit Boards like EFF and
ISOC. Namely all meetings are open to the public to attend and listen. Often observers
do not have the right to talk except for a set aside period during the meeting when 5
minute positions can be requested. The Board has the right to convene in Executive
Session but in all cases the subjects that can be discussed at exec session are
limited, sometimes by law and more often by good faith and the fear of law.

I strongly suggest that this be the principle that ICANN adopt rapidly. Why am I
bringing this up. I was told that the ICANN Board meeting in Singapore is closed and
that there will be a open "meeting" the day before. That is not the same thing. Open
meetings are a good way to gather opinions and an OPEN BOARD meeting is a necessary
way to insure openness and the respect of the community WHICH THE ICANN BOARD MUST
SERVE.  (caps intentional).

If there is a reason why this is not appropriate for ICANN but is for the others , I
think the ICANN Board owes it to the community to tell us now those reasons in detail.

Dave