On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 05:12:48PM -0500, Clough, Christopher wrote:
> Asensio subject of 9 lawsuits:
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/990318/pa_hemisph_1.html
[...]
> http://pages.prodigy.net/kjnowell/murphy.htm
[...]
> http://www.fool.com/EveningNews/1998/EveningNews980609.htm
[...]
> http://www.fool.com/EveningNews/1997/EveningNews971118.htm
[...]
> http://sec.yahoo.com/e/l/c/ccsi.html

Actually, all of these references don't make Asensio look bad at all -- it
looks like disgruntled companies trying to kill the messenger.  The
Business Week article:

> http://www.businessweek.com/1996/32/b34871.htm

actually speaks quite favorably of Asensio.  Your short quote:

> "It's a small operation--just three analysts aside from Asensio, all
> squeezed into a cramped suite of offices in midtown Manhattan."

in context is actually a positive description.  Here's a bit more --
I highly recommend the whole article to discerning readers:

  Still, everyday investors have a great deal to learn from
  short-sellers.  Even when they are wrong or their timing is off,
  short-sellers offer a refreshing reality check on the unvarnished
  bullishness so prevalent on Wall Street.  Short-sellers include
  some of the most talented analysts in the investment arena and are
  noted for their adroit, labor-intensive research.  One
  short-selling partnership even includes among its analysts a
  retired physician to evaluate biotechnology stocks.  But at bottom,
  what gives shorts an edge is sheer shoe leather.

  ``Shoe leather'' might well be Manuel Asensio's middle name.  Like
  most short-sellers nowadays, Asensio has his fingers in other
  pies--from conventional money management to municipal-bond
  underwriting.  But short-selling is clearly his first love.
  Asensio, who runs Asensio & Co., a New York investment boutique, is
  a rarity among short-sellers, for he is anything but secretive.
  For the first time since the 1980s, when the flamboyant Feshbach
  brothers of Palo Alto, Calif., made some highly publicized stock
  pans, shorts have a self-appointed...well, ``point man'' might be
  the word.  ``I respect what he does,'' says one short who has never
  met Asensio but has read his research and respects the guts shown
  by his public stance on stocks.  ``He is totally associated with
  his calls''--his short picks--``and that is something you don't see
  much of nowadays.'' At least, not among short-sellers.

  A native of Cuba who came to the U.S.  with his family in 1962, the
  41-year-old Asensio began trading while he was a student at Harvard
  University in the early 1980s.  After stints as a venture-capital
  dealmaker and an investment banker at Bear Stearns & Co., he went
  into business for himself.  Asensio manages about $100 million,
  mostly for wealthy clients.  It's a small operation--just three
  analysts aside from Asensio, all squeezed into a cramped suite of
  offices in midtown Manhattan.  ``I never subordinate my own
  judgment or fact-finding,'' says Asensio.  Not surprisingly, he
  routinely puts in 14-hour days and hasn't taken a vacation since
  February--of 1993.

  DETAILS, DETAILS.  Although his embrace of the limelight sets him
  apart from most shorts--he even issues press releases announcing
  his short picks--as an analyst, Asensio hews strictly to the
  exhaustive, detail-oriented approach that is the short-sellers'
  stock in trade.

NSOL *is* trading at incredible highs, and it wouldn't be the first
Internet High Flyer to take a serious tumble...

Here's some more interesting stuff from the same article:

  The whistle-blowing element of short-selling is a sensitive
  subject.  Short-sellers don't like to trumpet it, but if they feel
  that a company is using improper accounting or not making adequate
  public disclosures, they have no qualms about contacting the
  companies' auditors, the exchanges, the SEC, and lawyers seeking to
  bring class actions on behalf of disgruntled investors.  And then
  there's the financial press.  ``I like talking to the press.  We're
  like investigative reporters ourselves,'' says one short.  Another
  short-seller keeps a small stack of articles from financial
  publications in which he was a source--all exposing fraudulent and
  shady companies that ripped off thousands of shareholders.  Indeed,
  many prominent financial frauds of recent years were targeted by
  short-sellers long before they were picked up by regulators and the
  press.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain