David and all,

David R. Conrad wrote:

> Tony,
>
> [stuff which would lead to argument over the definition of a monopoly
> deleted -- too busy :-)]
>
> >>Well, actually, the fact that major ISPs are not pointing to the roots
> >>that make the new domains usable by the vast majority of the Internet
> - snip pointless conjecture from David Conrad -
>
> > Is it just a matter of bad PR?
>
> No, it is a matter of being conservative.  The vast majority of people
> want the Internet to be a stable place so they can do business /
> communicate / download porn.

  Exactly right David.  Very observant of you!  >;)  And as the VAST
majority of people want qa stable internet you make a good premise for
expanding and extending the current DNS to multiple root structures
as it provides for redundancy as part of that extension.  This is generally
considered in a practical sense, and in practice as an assurance in
stability.

> Dicking around with the roots, altering
> the contents of the root zone in an uncoordinated fashion, etc. would
> tend to destablize the Internet.

  I don't believe that Tony or Ed or anyone other than yourself with this
comment, all be it derogatory in nature, is suggesting any uncoordinated
fashion of doing any expansion and/or extension of the current DNS
root structure.  In fact, quite the contrary.  Of course excluding your comment

here, being the only exception.  Now, if you are ASSUMING that in expanding
and/or extending the current Root structure of DNS by adding additional
Root servers or root server structures would be automatically doing so,
than you are taking a position of paranoiac nature.

> Destablizing the Internet would annoy
> many people, many of which are customers of the major ISPs.  Annoying
> customers is generally a bad thing to do.

  Indeed it would.  In fact many customers are already VERY annoyed
as there are not additional choices that are integrated within the current
DNS structure.  Hence, again you have re-identified a pent up demand
or need to expand and/or extend the current Root structure of the DNS.

> > How fast would this change if even one major ISP pointed?
>
> One might ask why even one major ISP hasn't done so to date.  There have
> been and are plenty of opportunities.

  This is likely due to a.root-server.net being in a limbo state for some time
aggravated by the gTLD-MoU folks some time ago.  Please review relevant
E-Mail archives for further information.

> > Could litigation change this?
>
> Perhaps.  An asteroid strike on Herndon could change it too.

One is not remotely related to the other.  Hence this comment seems both
our of place as well as irrelevant.