Bill Lovell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 04:54 PM 4/27/99 -0700, Greg Skinner wrote:

>>I've been giving what you have written some thought and I came to the
>>conclusion that the "ecommercenet" you claim people with commercial
>>interests should create exists.  It just so happens that as a result
>>of the NSFnet agreements drafted and signed in 1992 that the
>>"ecommercenet" was allowed to communicate with NSFnet (and other
>>networks running TCP/IP) according to a set of agreed-upon policies.
>>A lot of this is documented online; I have found much of it at
>>www.merit.edu,

>So how come a search on that site with key words such as "commerce"
>and "NSF" or even "internet" yields zilch?

The NSFnet agreements did not specify what types of networks NSFnet
was able to communicate with.  The agreements allowed NSFnet to
communicate with other networks if it was felt in NSFnet's best
interest to do so.  So among those networks were any "ecommercenets"
that elected to communicate with them.

This is the relevant clause of the NSFnet AUP:

 (9) Communication incidental to otherwise acceptable use, except for
     illegal or specifically unacceptable use.

BTW, there is more literature on their site that specifically
discusses the opening of NSFnet to commercial traffic, such as:

  Message:  8663885, 22 lines