At 03:23 PM 5/7/99 +0200, you wrote:
>> >Being a TLD administrator, you know as well as I do that the info in
>> >the SOA record isn't always correct, and postmaster@ addresses don't
>> >always work.
>>
>> The whois information isn't always correct either.
>
>I agree. But I'd much rather trust information that *I* (as a TLD admin)
>maintain, than SOA records that the individual domain administrators
>*sometimes* maintain.

That only works if we're talking about domains inthe TLD you manage. If
not you're depending on somebody else to provice contact info and
whether they put it in whois or the DNS itself had no bearing on
its accuracy.

There's a certain appeal to wtoring what is now whois info
in the dns. COntact info for a .com domain clearly can't go
in .com zone, it's just too unmanagable.

Buf, if there were TXT records in the zone at the namesevrer
that served the domain that would decentralise whois nicely.

The change to the whois client would be trivial and we wouldnt
see NSI dying because of attacks on whois.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Those who give up a little freedom for a little security