Yes, we have been listening. We have been listening and thinking so hard we
haven't always had time to respond. But you should see some reasoning as
well as some results over the next few days.

Esther Dyson

At 12:24 AM 24/05/99 -0400, Marsh, Miles (Gene) wrote:
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2448.0">
><TITLE>Time to lay out the hand</TITLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY>

><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Hash: SHA1</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>Esther,</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>The past few weeks have passed with a flurry of messages
back and</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>forth on a number of critical topics.&nbsp; During this
time, the</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>principals involved with the ICANN process have been
unfortunately</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>missing from much of the discussion.&nbsp; This is an
unfortunate fact.</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>As usual, there has been the regular ration of excited,
flamboyant and</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>overreactive banter on the lists.&nbsp; There has also
been a great deal of</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>well thought discourse regarding these issues.&nbsp; It is
with great</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>trepidation that we await the results of Berlin.&nbsp;
Those who can make</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>it to the meetings hope to have their voices heard.&nbsp;
Those of us who</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>cannot are hoping someone has been listening.</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>The Internet is, in large measure, the result of the
forward thinking,</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>creative people who have been commenting on the
issues.&nbsp; Hear their</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>voices.&nbsp; Embrace the discussion.&nbsp; Open the
processes.&nbsp; This is your</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>time to become hero, legend, leader.</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>Or to fail.</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>You have all the choice.</FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>+++++&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>Gene Marsh (GM8419)</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>interim secretary, Top Level Domain Association</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>president, anycastNET Incorporated</FONT>
></P>

></P>
>
></BODY>
></HTML>

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: March 12 to 15, 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"