William and all,

  Unfortunately one cannot place all the responsibility on Register.com for
their imposing pre-payment of registering a domain name, as they
were required to sign the "Accreditation Agreement" with ICANN in order
to become a ICANN registrar.  This responsibility lies with the ICANN
Interim Board alone...