William and all,

William X. Walsh wrote:

> Callaw has an interesting article today at :
>
> http://www.callaw.com/stories/edt0614f.html
>
> It reports basically that EFF is trying to put a "price" on the value
> of our "identity" so that damages can be ascertained should a company
> violate our privacy rights.
>
> (Before you jump in Jeffeypoo, I'm just giving a very very
> minimalistic summary)
>
> This might be interesting in its application to NSI.  Nowhere in the
> registration agreement have any of us domain name holders given NSI
> the right to publicize or market any of our information they have
> compiled in the course of their fulfillment of the contract with the
> USG for managing the com/net/org registry.
>
> This could be interesting........

  Very interesting indeed!  Nice and informative link here WIlliam.
Thank you for pointing it out.  I took some time and pondered it for
quite
a spell before replying.  I even mentioned to Roeland on the phone
as well in relationship to some business issues.

  Not much new here with respect to peoples value, or a persons value
alive verses dead.  But allot has changed with respect to privacy and
an individuals value in cyberspace.  I can attest to that personally!
>;)
And on the very positive side I might note as well.

  Privacy is becoming a much more marketable with the growth of the
Internet.  Most especially to individuals.  NSI has actually played a
positive role in pointing that out initially anyway.  Register.com has
been in the business of selling registrant lists for almost as long
as NSI is "Suspected" of doing so through it's "Whois" Database.
Yet at least NSI has tried to thwart abuse of the "Whois" database
and the customers listed there.  I am afraid that Register.com
can't truthfully make that claim, as some already available evidence
in previous posts have pointed up over the past few days.

  This also is interesting in respect to the ICANN (Initial?) Interim
Boards
selection process for selecting the first 5 test bed registrars.  It
appears
that their selection process was rather loosy-goosy, given the already
known and documented evidence available.  One than is compelled to
wonder if there was really a selection process at all, or that there is
adequate oversight from a neutral auditor of that selection process.
This was called for and requested some time ago, and never implemented
by the ICANN (Initial?) and Interim Board.  It could also point up the
possible gross malfeasance of the ICANN (Initial?) and Interim Board
as well, and total lack of oversight of the NTIA in this instance.  So,
yes indeed William this article is intresting from these standpoints
as well...

  Back to a persons value.

  A persons value that is a cyberspace regular participant or "User"
has gained several fold, just because of that use.  Abusing that
persons privacy for their use, without their consent, or even knowledge
is looming large in many folks minds, more and more.  This is likely to
continue.  ICANN's future may ride heavily on how they handle this
with respect to the DNSO and the registrar selection process.  The
challenge is the balance between the right of privacy and the public
access to information with respect to a Domain Name.  Many a legal
Dollar/Euro will change hands here, to be sure, given ICANN's
continuing propensity for less than honest practices in their process
of openness, or rather lack there of.