On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 11:24:42AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
[...]
> i would suggest that, while process issues are legitimate and relevant,
> that there are also issues of substance which deserve discussion.
>
> randy

This is a process issue that I think also has substance:

The primary reason that there isn't some kind of individuals
constituency is because there was strong resistance to it from some
quarters.  In particular, the Intellectual Property and the ccTLD
interests, and perhaps the large business interests, were very
concerned that a constituency primarily oriented towards individuals
(or an "at-large" constituency) would 1) degenerate into chaos; and
2) duplicate individual representation at the ICANN level (where
individuals will select half the board.  That is, individuals will
get double representation, because any individual could be both a
general member of ICANN and a member of an at-large constituency.)

However, there is also a strong push from some quarters *for* a
constituency for individuals -- encouraged by statements by the
ICANN board that they might consider addition of new constituencies.

However, any addition of a new constituency should involve the DNSO.
There is certainly a possibility that the current set of
constituencies might obstruct creation of a new constituency, but
that is *not* a given.  From the point of view of fostering
consensus, it would clearly be the best if the call for a new
constituency came from *within* the DNSO, rather than from outside.

Therefore, I would like to open discussion on two important topics:

1) what should be the general process for creation of a new constituency?

2) should there be a constituency devoted to individuals, and, if
so, how should it be constituted?

I feel that the DNSO list is the appropriate place to discuss these
questions.  I would also like to point out that many of the parties
with significant interest in these questions are spread across two
other lists -- the ifwp list, and the idno list.  While the noise
will be considerable, I propose that cross-posting between these
lists be allowed, at least for purposes of this discussion.

Thanks

Kent

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain