Rhonda,

You may be missing the point.

The Internet is not a merket, any more than the Interstate Highway system
is a market.  It IS, however, a market-enabling technology, just as the
Interstate Highway system is.  Without it, our economy would not be nearly
as robust as it is.

In a similar manner, the Internet is poised to become that market-enabling
infrastructure.  The parallels are not all perfect, but the analogy is
still accurate.  Without either, there is the potential for market collapse
or diminishment.

The Internet has the potential to do globally what the IH system has done
for the US economy over the last 50 years.  How much faster and more deeply
would the economy have progressed if we had a competitive alternative to
the IH system 40 years ago?

We've learned a great deal in that time.  Let's keep moving forward.

Gene...
+++++
Hi Ronda Hauben, you wrote on 6/28/99 11:02:07 PM:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (William X. Walsh) writes:
>
>On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:14:17 -0400 (EDT), Ronda Hauben
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (William X. Walsh) wrote:
>
>>>The internet, by definition, is a network of interconnected networks.
>>>These networks are not a "uniform" set of networks. They are diverse,
>>>and the attempt to force on them a set of policies that are "uniform"
>>>in nature, when there is no compelling technical or legal reason for
>>>doing so, is difficult to understand.
>
>>>The ultimate consensus of the internet stakeholders will be letting
>>>the market decide which models will work and succeed.  Those that do
>>>not, will be forced to change their models or die off. =3D20
>
>>The Internet is a communications medium. It is not some mythical
>>"open market" ideology.=20
>
>>It was created under IPTO at ARPA, *not* via some corporate or
>>private framework.
>
>Ronda,
>
>What the internet started as is of no relevence.=20
>
>What it is now, is exactly what I stated.
>

>It is time for you to accept that the internet has changed, and move
>on.
>
>The Internet was not the "market" when it was born and it isn't
>and won't be a "market now or in the future.
>
>It is a communication medium.
>
>You wouldn't have a cooperative communication structure if
>there were any such "market", you would have a monopoly of
>some one company like Microsoft etc.
>
>But that is not the Internet.
>
>The point is what is needed *not* what your wishes or ideology
>want to construct out of some ideas that have no connection
>with reality.
>
>If you start with an apple, all the wishes in the world won't
>make it into a pear.
>
>Ronda

I'm very happy @.HOME
Gene Marsh