On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:31:50 -0700 (PDT), Greg Skinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Richard J. Sexton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> However, I agree with the original statement if it was
>>> intended to convey that the idea was that if you registered a domain name
>>> [...] that you were establishing a reference to some set of network resources
>>> associated with the name.
>
>> Not really. It's entirely feasible to have a domain with only
>> TXT rr's, no A or MX rr's; in other words, no.
>
>OK, I will modify my statement to be that it was established to provide
>mappings between names and generic resources (which might not be traditionally
>thought of as network resources).  However the intent was to provide a
>reference to something else that someone might use.  Cybersquatters wish only
>to resell the domain name.  I'm not badmouthing them; just pointing out that
>the intent of their registrations is different than what was traditionally
>done.

Times change, things evolve.

If you don't adapt....you get left behind and become extinct.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

"The fact is that domain names are new and have unique
characteristics, and their status under the law is not yet clear."
--Kent Crispin (June 29th, 1999)