Rob and all,

  Rob, you make very many good points here, and they have been
made many times before.  However there are methods of
solving every one of them currently.  The problem with doing
so on a large scale is that there would be a perceived
"Split Root" claim by many if this was done.  FWIW, that
is going to happen anyway unless or until ICANN makes some
drastic changes in the policy direction it is now seemingly heading
towards.